Within the Christian Bible, it talks about an End-time “beast.” Now,
This Bible calls nations beasts. One it speaks of is nasty -- and how!
It wasn’t always so -- as once it was lamb-like, apparently,
But then it becomes dragon-like -- oh, dear, what nation could it be?
And apparently it goes global — with its tentacles, I guess;
A power, a system, that gains control of earth — one God can’t bless.
It’s very clear that it’s a religious-political power,
And one whose oppressive authority over all will tower.
At some stage it turns to murder, which it attempts to justify,
And its deceptive banter, (believe it or not), most people buy.
But soon it forces its religious dogma on everyone,
Via claiming Divine authority — a lie that we all should shun.
Another power’s behind it, aiding it, (one that'll share the blame),
Yes, one that also persecuted and murdered in God’s name.
And that one was and is a religious-political power too,
Thus, prophetically, history repeats itself right on cue.
An impressive array of supporters endorse the new “beast,”
And certain manifestations — signs/wonders — its appeal will increase.
It waxes lyrical about our future well-being — speaks of peace,
But despite it all, it won’t deliver, and earth’s troubles won’t cease.
Since when can man deliver? No, he can’t — just look at history,
Humanity hasn’t changed, and thinking it can is fantasy.
We’re just like a ship in a bottle. We can’t rescue ourselves, no,
After all, how on earth did we get here? Magically? — Hello?
Nobody, nor any power, should try to map or run our lives,
For only evil, or delusion, such manipulation drives.
Yes, let everyone be free, guard freedom and liberty jealously,
For soon this nasty apocalyptic scenario we’ll see.
By Lance Landall
Revelation chapter 13:11-18; Note also, verses 1-10.
11) Then I saw another beast rising out of the earth. It had two horns [civil/religious liberty] like a lamb [young, innocent, peaceful] and it spoke like a dragon [deceptive in appearance because it later changes character, becomes Satanic, oppressive, aggressive].
12) It [the new worldwide power] exercises all the authority of the first beast [a past political/religious power] in its presence, and makes the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast [reverses former policies – a reversal of civil and religious liberty. Religious dogma enforced via its church/state, religious/political power and enactment’s. Effectively fulfills the first beasts historic thrust], whose mortal was healed [the first beast revives, after its past topple from power, and quickly gains acceptance and influence, which sees it duly playing an End-time role on the world stage prior to Christ’s Second Coming].
13) It performs great signs, even making fire come down from heaven to earth in front of people,
14) and by the signs that it is allowed to work in the presence of the beast, it deceives those who dwell on earth, telling them to make an image for the beast that was wounded by the sword and yet lived.
15) And it [the new political/religious system] was allowed to give breath to the image [the new organization begins to function] of the beast [past power – the first beast], so that the image of the beast might even speak [through its laws and enactment’s] and might cause those who would not worship the image of the beast to be slain [the first beast and its image are united in their aims, policies and demands].
16) Also it [the new political-religious system] causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave [everyone is affected by the legislation], to be marked on the right hand or the forehead [this symbolizes that the one so marked serves with his consent or actions, whether by conviction (forehead) or expediency (right hand)],
17) so that no one can buy or sell [efforts taken to secure compliance] unless he has the mark [sign of allegiance to the beast whose mortal wound was healed], that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.
This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the
number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is
six hundred sixty-six [The number alone cannot identify the
beast since numerous names can add up to ‘666.’ However, the number 666
must have a relationship to this power, otherwise there would be no
valid reason for the angel giving John this information at this point
in the prophetic narrative].”
English Standard Version used here.
You may like to also read my poem "If I Were The Devil"